- Core Work: Yup, do it a lot and do it often. It’s time to get serious about core strength if your goal is to be a better swimmer, cyclist, and runner. Core work will improve every single aspect of daily life and racing.
- Cycling Base Fitness: I will spend 1 hour on the bike trainer every night watching TV, mostly heart rate training at lower levels in the off season, but will also throw in some interval sessions to get the heart rate up and the intensity flowing.
- Running Base Fitness: Trail Running! Yes, take it to the woods and run! It’s fun, it’s cold, it’s nature, and it’s even better when you add friends. Adventure + running is a great off season mind and body building workout.
- Carefully watch your nutrition and intake: Eat well, but eat GOOD! If you pack on some extra pounds during the winter make sure it’s muscle, not fat! Get serious about your food and measure caloric intake and figure out how much you really need to be eating. Become a scientist of your own body and really take hold of your food consumption and become accountable for your own actions.
- Create your race plans for next season: It’s tough to do all of this off season work and discipline without goals to visualize during your workouts and your daily daydreaming sessions. Grab a calendar, Google some races, and start building your perfect race season and then start visualizing YOU executing that perfect race season.
I’m Dustin, and this is my son Boston… First, I’m a dad before anything else, after that I’m a 31 year old vegan expatriate Hoosier living right outside of New Orleans, LA.
On June 12th, 2011 I had a bit of a wake up call and began my road to the ironman 140.6 mile endurance event and after that I’ve got some big plans, so it won’t end there… This is my outlet to vent, rant, promote, and let everyone know what’s up.