You've probably never heard of bromelain before – most people haven't. But bromelain might do some pretty cool things, so you'll likely want to learn more.
Bromelain is an enzyme extracted from the stem and in the juice of a pineapple, though it is found in all parts of that juicy tropical fruit. Pineapple has been used in Central and South America for hundreds of years as a treatment for indigestion and inflammation. One of the biggest insights that researchers have gathered about bromelain is that it might reduce inflammation in the body due to infection.
Here are some of the other things that bromelain might be good for:
- Treating swelling in the sinuses and nose, ear and throat after surgery or trauma to those areas.
- Potentially removing dead tissue from very serious burns.
- Soothing coughs and reducing nasal mucus and inflammation in the sinuses due to hay fever.
- Treating arthritis and osteoarthritis when used in combination with rutin and trypsin.
- Possibly killing some viruses and bacteria, though more research is needed.
- Curbing effects of ulcerative colitis and other inflammatory bowel issues.
Bromelain might also be effective in preventing muscle soreness immediately after exercise. If you're interested in trying it, you can find bromelain in Naturade 100% Whey protein booster.