Breakfast, the most important meal of the day, can also be the most delicious meal of the day. When transitioning into a plant-based lifestyle certain breakfast dishes may have to be removed from your meal routine. That is often the case with favorite breakfast dish, french toast. However, VeganSmart Team Member, Karli Manson, has shared her tasty french toast recipe with us, to solve your breakfast woes!
Suggested: Fruit Salad with Vanilla VeganSmart Dressing
6 slices of day-old ciabatta bread, sliced about 3/4 inches thick*
1 cup of Almond Breeze Almond Milk
1 tablespoon of maple syrup
2 tablespoons of millet flour (or spelt or whole wheat)
1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast**
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground nutmeg
A tiny pinch of salt
Coconut oil, for the pan
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond milk, maple syrup, flour, nutritional yeast, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Place the bread in a shallow dish (with sides) that holds all of the bread. Pour the mixture over the bread, then lift or flip the bread over to make sure both sides are evenly coated.
- Heat a drizzle of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the bread slices and cook for a few minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Serve with powdered sugar, a dab of vegan butter, maple syrup, and fresh fruit.
* It’s very important that you get good sturdy bread. Karli used thick slices of ciabatta from the Whole Foods bakery. Please, please do not use wimpy sandwich bread with this recipe or your french toast will be soggy.
Read More: VeganSmart Banana Bread