Nothing starts off the day right like the early morning classic: eggs benedict. But for those looking for a healthier take on the definitive breakfast staple, here’s a vegan version of the dish that can help lower cholesterol without sacrificing taste. Try it with a VeganSmart All-In-One Nutritional Shake for an extra energy boost in the morning.
Vegan hollandaise sauce Ingredients:
- 6 ripe yellow tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for tossing with the tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon white vinegar or wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 2 teaspoon arrowroot mixed in 1/4 cup cold water
Eggs and bacon substitute ingredients
- 1 block extra-firm tofu
- 3 tablespoon unbleached white flour
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Pinch of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 6 slices faux Canadian bacon
- Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dab the tomatoes in olive oil, then place on a baking sheet, roasting them on each side for 30 minutes.
- Remove tomatoes from the oven and place in a blender.
- Slowly add the 1/4 cup of oil and the mustard, white pepper and vinegar. Blend until fully emulsified and strain through a sieve.
- Place the sauce in a sauté pan on medium heat while and add the vegan margarine and arrowroot, and mix until thickened.
- Cut the tofu into quarter-inch slabs and fry in canola oil until golden brown.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, nutritional yeast, turmeric, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Coat the tofu in the flour mixture and shake off any excess.
- After frying the tofu, fry the faux Canadian bacon for 1-2 minutes on each side
- Toast six English muffins.
- Top each muffin with a slab of vegan margarine, while covering half the side with tofu and the other half with bacon.
- Drizzle the vegan hollandaise sauce, and enjoy!