For anyone who’s having trouble making the transition to veganism or anyone who is faltering from their vegan lifestyle, remember you always have choices! If you’re craving something meaty or creamy, there are tons of substitutes so you can fulfill that craving while remaining faithful to your new vegan lifestyle.
One of your greatest tools is the internet! There are recipes for everything online! One that I found recently was for vegan jackfruit lettuce wraps. Jackfruit is a great meat alternative because of its texture. Feel free to explore your options and get in tune with your creativity by searching the web for your favorite dishes that have been ‘veganized’. This will keep you on the happy and healthy cruelty-free path!
Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger root
- 1 20-ounce can young green jackfruit in water or brine (not syrup), well drained and pieces coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or wheat-free tamari)
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup slivered baby carrots
- 4 to 5 mushrooms, stemmed and sliced (about 5 ounces)
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil (optional)
- Lettuce leaves for wrapping
- In a medium-sized saucepan, saute the onion until it softens (add a little water if it begins to stick). Add the garlic and ginger root and cook for another minute.
- Add the chopped jackfruit, vegetable broth, soy sauce, and hoisin sauce into pan.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook on low until jackfruit softens and begins to shred when you press on it with the edge of a spoon (about 20-30 minutes).
- Add the remaining ingredients, cover, and simmer until the mushrooms begin to juice, about 5 minutes.
- Serve in lettuce cups, can be eaten warm or cold.
If you enjoyed this Vegan recipe, check out this recipe for dessert: VeganSmart Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake Recipe