For years we have been told, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. While that may be true, it is sometimes difficult to find a healthy alternative to start your day. It may be tempting to reach for a bagel, doughnut, or something equally easy to make. However, is convenience the only thing important about breakfast? Try VeganSmart’s Breakfast Biscotti for a healthy take on a delicious morning treat!
Suggested: Karli Manson’s Roasted Sweet Potato and Quinoa Salad
Here is what you’ll need:
1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed
2 tablespoons of filtered water
2 cups of raw shelled sunflower seeds
1 tablespoon of arrowroot starch
1/4 teaspoon of fine sea salt
1 scoop of VeganSmart Vanilla
1/2 cup of roughly chopped, dried blueberries
1/3 cup raw pepitas
2 tablespoons of cacao nibs
1/4 cup of pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the ground flaxseed and water. Set the mixture aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
- While the mixture is thickening, add the sunflower seeds to a food processor and process until you have coarse flour. The texture should be flour-like, do not over process or you will create sunflower butter.
- Once the sunflower seed flour is ready, add it to another mixing bowl with the arrowroot, VeganSmart Vanilla, and sea salt. Whisk these ingredients together. Once combined, stir in the dried blueberries, pepitas, and cacao nibs.
- Add the maple syrup and vanilla extract to the flaxseed mixture. Stir vigorously to combine. Once combined, pour the flaxseed mixture over the sunflower mixture. Use a wooden spoon to combine the two mixtures. It may seem like there isn’t enough liquid, but keep stirring until the liquid is evenly distributed and the dough is damp.
- When the dough is ready, transfer it onto the baking sheet and cut into two equal rectangles.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the edges are a light golden brown. At this time, remove the baking sheet from the oven for approximately 20 minutes.
- While cooling, decrease the oven to 275°F.
- Once the biscotti rectangles are mostly cool. Use a knife to cut the rectangles into small slices. You should have between 12 and 14 biscotti from each rectangle (between 24 and 28 all together).
- Return the biscotti to the baking sheet and bake for an additional 17 minutes. At the 17 minute mark, flip each biscotti over and bake for another 17 minutes, or until light golden brown and crisp to the touch. Remember, the biscotti will continue to crisp as they cool.
- Transfer the biscotti to a cooling rack. Once cooled completely store in an airtight glass container to maintain crispness.
Next time you are looking for a breakfast treat, give this biscotti recipe a try!
Read More: VeganSmart Signature Series’ with Bad Ass Vegan, Styles P, and Tia Blanco